Thursday, October 1, 2009

Can a self-described work-a-holic be overworked?

I think I could literally work 24 hours a day seven days a week and still not completely clear my to do list. Working for transgender rights and fighting against discrimination takes a lot of time and resources. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I have no down time, ever. I know that many folks take those quick internet breaks to check facebook or whatever, but I don't even have time for that, there is just too much to do for one person. Part of the problem is that I want to do everything, because the issues that affect my community are just so huge and need to be tackled. The other part of the problem is that I am a self-diagnosed work-a-holic. Lastly, the issues that affect my community are so huge and so varied that they need more than one person who full-time paid job is devoted to this. It is true I have several talented and dedicated volunteers and interns that do an amazing amount of work, but the need/demand is greater than the current resources.

What triggered this micro burst? I was just trying to clean out my in box. I did get down from over 4500 emails to just below 3900, progress for 12:30 am. So some of my friends and colleagues will wake up to a long over due email tomorrow morning and others, well they are still waiting.

1 comment:

  1. This is why so many of our activists get burned out, because there are so many who want the work to get done, but so few who actually do the ground work and the resistance we meet along the way.

    thank you for doing what you do friend.

    -C-

    ReplyDelete